The division has main responsibility to investigate and inquire into complaints regarding infringements or imminent fundamental rights violations according to section 11(a), 10(a) and (b) of Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka Act. It has a unique complaint handling process and complaint resolve procedure. The division plays proactive and reactive role to protect people from human rights violations and prevent human rights violations in the society.
- Complaint hearing duty for public before lodging a formal complaint at the Commission to provide proper advice and listen to victims
- Handling individual complaints
- Undertake investigation on its own motion complaints (suo moto)
- Assist the Commission in respect of references by the Supreme Court
- Conducting special inquiries
- Maintain the complaint data base to facilitate the complainant about his / her complaint
- Organising regular visits to custodial institutions such as Police stations, detentions centres, Prison and registered homes which were gazetted by the government etc for assessing and inspecting conditions of persons held in such places and make recommendations to redress the problems.
- Maintain and monitoring the data base of detention orders which were sent by relevant authorities.
- Organising special visits for identified special human rights issues in the country and give recommendations for relevant authorities.
- Provide Hotline service to public to contact the commission and take immediate action on torture, arbitrary arrest and detentions through contacting relevant authorities
- Organizing Civil societies Meetings
For further clarification contact Director – Inquiries and Investigations
Inquiries and Investigations Division
No. 165 Kynsey Road,
Borella, Colombo 8
Tel : +94 11 2674200
Fax : +94 11 2674200