This division holds the responsibility to provide human rights education to the public with the aim of building up the individual, directed towards development, strengthening the universal culture of human rights, making people understand the value of respecting the cultural identity and values of the individual and communities by individuals and communities of different civilizations, in fulfilling the universal plurality of right to education. Sections 10 (f) and 11(f) of the HRCSL Act are most the important sections that unfolds the mandate of the division to promote awareness, and provide education in relation to, human rights. In a wider spectrum, human rights declared and recognized by the two major Covenants, the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights as well as the International Covenant on Civil Political Rights are covered in the work of the Education & Special Programmes Division.
- Develop human rights education programmes for different target groups
- Develop human rights training modules and manuals
- Develop human rights documents, leaflets and posters
- Conducting human rights awareness programmes, seminars, workshops, special lectures, demonstrations and trainings
- Organising HRCSL staff capacity building programmes
- Organise special events to emphasize special days such as international Human rights day, children day, women day etc.
- Organise Television or Radio discussions
- Provide resource persons to organizations that require the services and request the division
- Provide consultation on human rights education
- Establish human rights exhibition stalls in the national programmes and special events.
- Publish human rights education articles in print media and journals
- Manage special projects which were funded by international institutions.
If you require the assistance of the Education and Special Programmes Division to conduct programmes, research or to make any suggestions on new programmes please contact –
Education and Special Programmes Division
No. 165 Kynsey Road,
Borella, Colombo 8
Tel : +94 11 2686282
Fax : +94 112694924