The Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRCSL) has issued a recommendation to the Chairman of the University Grants Commission – Sri Lanka, Vice Chancellor of the University of Colombo, Director of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine and three other respondents to protect the university education of an undergraduate with disabilities currently studying at the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo.
The recommendation of the Commission focused on the following aspects;
- The provision of a placement at another university to continue her education as per the request of complainant
- The payment of reasonable compensation to the said undergraduate
- The initiation of a disciplinary inquiry into the actions of 04 respondents
- The introduction within the university system of guidelines regarding disability accessibility
- The promotion of disability inclusive education
- Conducting awareness programmes on the rights of persons with disabilities.
Note: Tamil Translation Pending.